Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Coconut Flour Bread

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!! Yea so I hope everyone is enjoying this fantastic holiday. Yea I know its just a reason to make Irish Bars money, but I still like it, even thought I don't really drink and I'm not Irish, I pretend along with tons of other people. It's also fun people watching and seeing everyone in there drunken stupor at like noon. So I began my St. Patty's day with WOD 12.4. Arrg, fing muscle ups. I will get one of those things one of these days! Though super inspiring seeing the girls and guys in my gym rock that workout! Also Lori and Eric brought in amazing paleo treats...it got me through those wall balls and double unders knowing I could stuff my face with cookie and coconut bars afterwards, yea I might of ate a few too many...no self control Stef! Oh watch this video, it will make you happy, and I know this will be me hopefully soon!

Sorry for no posts lately, I've just been grilling the sh*t out of stuff and eating asparagus, yeah nothing exciting. Though last night I made a few things and have some great posts for this week! I was sitting around yesterday afternoon and was craving some bread. This really never happens anymore since I started Paleo, but for some reason I wanted some and if I actually had some in my cabinet, I might have eaten it, but I don't, since I don't buy that processed garbage. I wanted to try something different than the almond flour bread I usually make since I wanted to perhaps try making french toast with it. Hmmm...how about Coconut Bread!! Time to find a recipe....after google gave me lots of choices, I noticed they pretty much were ALL the same. So I just picked the one from Marks Daily Apple and went with it: (For people that don't know Mark Sisson..read this book: it changed my life Paleo 21 day Challenge)

RECIPE: Coconut Flour Bread 

INGREDIENTS:
6 eggs
1/2 cups ghee (or butter) (I used coconut oil and butter to get 1/2 cup, sounded like a good idea!)
1-2 tablespoon honey, depending on taste (I used 2 tablespoons agave)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup coconut flour



This recipes is super duper easy! Throw everything in a bowl and mix mix mix!! You will get a yellowish pasty batter. It doesn't look like bread batter, but that is the way its supposed to look. I used my small loaf pan again. I think 9x5ish measurements. Before you throw the bread in there make sure you oil or spray the heck out of the pan so it doesn't stick. The worst thing ever is taking the bread out and trying to get it out of the pan and half of it comes out and half of it...yes this has happened to me. After the bread is in the pan, chuck it into your preheated 350 degree oven and then you have to wait a brutal 40 min!


I realized I actually could have made this St. Patty's Day bread if I had some green food coloring, but oh well, maybe I'll make some Easter Bread. Green bread would kinda freak me out. After the 40 min, plus another 15 min of waiting it for to cool I was ready to take it out of the pan. The top and edges looked nice and crusty and I couldn't wait to taste it. The bread is definitely more on the dense side, but stays together really well. The bread has a more dry taste, but flavor is much closer to bread. Event though it was a bit dry, the eggs and honey gave it some moistness (think i just made up that word) and I thought it taste great, even just by itself! Though I really can't have more than one or two small pieces since they are hearty pieces! 
You can see its dense, but its good!


YUM
Not sure which bread I like more, coconut or almond, but they are too totally different breads and since the coconut bread was more dense and stayed together I tried it as French Toast this morning! I only had one slice, but that is all I needed and it was good! The bread didn't suck up as much as the egg mixture as I wanted, but with some butter and a little maple syrup I was pretty darn happy to start my day off with Paleo french toast and bacon! 


My piece of Coconut Bread French Toast!
Looking for another bread recipe, here ya go. Let me know how it goes, it might just be what you need after a day of drinking ;-).




No comments:

Post a Comment