Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Paleo Coconut Pancakes


So I have an obsession with pancakes, waffles, and all baked goods. And some mornings (especially weekends!) I just don't feel like eggs. So I went on a search for a paleo pancake recipe. Their are sooo many out there and this will be one of many. I have had numerous failures in the past and if I had remembered where I got those recipes, I would share them, but they were dry and icky, but I forced myself to eat them since paleo ingredients are not cheap! So I wanted to try again. Yes anyone can come over to my house and have a Pancake (or Waffle!) party with me anytime, as long as you don't mind that they are paleo!


So after deciphering through a bunch of recipes I came to this one:
http://paleospirit.com/2011/coconut-flour-paleo-pancakes/

I decided on this one because they really explained the recipe and one thing I always look for is that they have tried it numerous times and have found this recipe was the best! Alright time to find the ingredients and cook!
Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs, room temperature (Mine came from the fridge..oh well)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon coconut nectar (coconut sap)<----- I used Agave
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • coconut oil for frying

They use something called Coconut Nectar in this recipe though...no ideas where to get that, I had Agave, so I used that instead. Ok Paleo Nazi's I know agave isn't the most Paleo thing, but you hardly need much of it and Juli over at Paleomg.com uses it, so its ok. (Umm check out her blog, it rocks and I cook a lot of things from there and will be writing about her recipes a lot!).

I followed the recipe exactly and used medium heat for the cakes. I didn't use very much Coconut Oil. Make sure you make your pancakes small, those b*tches are tough to flip! I might have had some bad flips, which means those got eaten first.

After making a butt load of pancakes I put half in the fridge and sat down to eat the rest! YUMM! I slathered them in some Organic Grass-Fed butter and inhaled. I was pleasantly surprised how good these were! They had a great texture similar to regular pancakes and really melted in my mouth. (I may or may not have gone back and ate the rest in the fridge..) Next time I might make a strawberry sauce and throw some fruit on top too. The combinations are endless. So if you are looking for a pancake recipe this one is a good one to try!! I'll probably make this again, but there are soo many more out there I want to try and see if they are good, which means LOTS of pancake parties!

I promise I will start taking better pictures :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment