Monday, May 14, 2012

Banana Bread French Toast

It has been a crazy couple of weeks! I haven't been trying new recipes at all and I have been eating out a little too much. I cooked so much for Regionals, I needed a break and cooked a lot of my staple recipes that are already on the blog. Regionals was a blast! I am happy that it is over since it was so time consuming, but all the hard work that our team put in was shown at the CrossFit regionals. Our team ended up in twelve place out of 30 teams. The best workout was WOD #4 where Soco took first in their heat and they had all of us cheering them on and screaming SOCO! The team had a lot of ups and downs, but worked through everything to give it their all. I'm so inspired by everyone on the team and how much hard work they put in and for never giving up, GO SOCO!


Non-Paleo french toast...nom nom
So I have wanted to make this recipe for a long time. I LOVE French Toast. So much that I almost went and bought bread (ahh!) and made it the the day. Though whenever I crave non-paleo foods, I wait a few days and see if I'm still craving it. If I am, then I devour it and I'm ok with that! I have been looking for a paleo french toast recipe and found this one! So I have been eyeing this recipe for awhile and finally had some time to make it. I got it from the great site of Paleomg where the genuis paleo cooker Juli Bauer made up this one. I couldn't wait to try it!

RECIPE: http://paleomg.com/banana-bread-french-toast/

INGREDIENTS:
  For the bread:

    • 3 medium spotty bananas
    • 1.5 cups unsalted cashews- Used 1 cup almond butter
    • 2 tablespoons walnut oil -Didn't use
    • 1 cup almond flour
    • 2 eggs, whisked
    • 1 TBSP Raw honey
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • pinch of salt
  For the French Toast:
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
    • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I mixed the bananas and almond butter in my Vitamix or if you have a food processor that would work well too until its smooth. After that is done add it to the 2 whisked eggs and mix it up. Then add the rest of your ingredients. Simple! I had a bread pan that was just a typical one, not sure the sizes, but I had a tin foil one I bought from the grocery store. Make sure you oil the heck out of the pan though so the bread can easily slid out. 

After baking for about 28 minutes, the top was very crusty and I took it out for it to cool! That is the hardest part since I love Banana Bread and it smelled so great. I let it cool for about 10 minutes for I let it out of the pan. The bread itself fell quite a bit and I think that is because I used a little too much almond butter, I would decrease it a little bit next time. Don't get me wrong, it still was amazing! After eating a piece of the banana bread, I was excited to make it into french toast. The bread stayed together well and was hearty enough to make a good French Toast. 

I cut a few larger pieces and dipped it into all my french toast ingredients minus the coconut oil and placed in a pan to cook! Yum Yum. They came out nice and crispy. Pure yuminess. I topped it with a few banana slices and had a little agave nectar and grass-fed butter. I had two slices and was full. The bread is dense compare to other french toast breads, but the banana and the almond butter together taste fantastic. I had no idea you could use these ingredients to make such a tasty bread. I saved the rest of the bread for later and finished in a few days since the bread itself is great. 

So even if you don't want to make it into french toast you have a great banana bread. Next time I want to add some chocolate chips. 



No comments:

Post a Comment