Wednesday, May 2, 2012

CrossFit Games Regional Prep


The weekend is coming and you know what that means? No probably not, but I'll fill you in...Crossfit Games Regionals?!?!?! OMG OMG. So for the few of you that have no idea what I'm talking about it is a huge competition that is going on in Castle Rock, CO where teams and individuals from the Southwest region compete for a chance to go to the Crossfit Games in California! I mean this is the creme de la creme! I am so excited for this event because I get to volunteer the whole weekend and immerse myself into the CrossFit community, not to mention meeting awesome CrossFit people. And the best part you ask? CrossFit Soco is sending a team to compete!! I can not wait to lose my voice from screaming and live vicariously through all the athletes. Sean is on the team and I think I might be more excited than he is. If anyone is in the area and wants to check out this "CrossFit" thing since all you do is here me talk about it 24/7, then you should  for sure check this out. 
We are so lucky to be able to host the Regionals in Colorado and you should take advantage of being able to watch some amazing athletes! 

So I'll be volunteering the whole weekend and Sean will be competing so the first thing that comes to my mind is food. I'll be lucky enough to have catered food from the amazing Paleo Wagon while I'm volunteering so I'm good there, but Sean will need lots of food all the time..oh vay! So we decided to start planning out a menu that will be easy, but good so Sean can power through the workouts and stay energized.

So here is what I'm packing up for the weekend!

1. Sweet Potatoes- I am going to make chips and mash! For the chips I'm just going to cut the sweet potatoes in even circle 'chips' and bake for 10-15min at 350. For the mash I bake the sweet potatoes for about 35 minutes. I then through them all in a bowl and mash!! I usually always add full-fat coconut milk so there is some fat and carbs. Then you can get creative. I like adding things like cinnamon, grass-fed butter, chives, and anything else that might be paleo I can put in a potato! 

2. Avocados- Great fat that is easy to cut open and eat with anything else. Might make some guacamole to put on cucumbers, carrots, etc. 
3. Coconut Water- Great potassium. I think this stuff is gross, Sean loves it. 

4. Bison- I'm making a bison crockpot stew that will be good cold, but easy to make and easy to pack away and put in a cooler for a nice meal after a WOD or a snack in between. I'm honestly just throwing whatever I have in crockpot. I love crockpots.

5. Coconut/Almond Butter- Another great fat source that actually tastes really good by itself

6. Some fruits- Some oranges, bananas, and apples for a quick carb snack if needed

7. Protein Shake- Gotta have some recovery protein for right after the WOD

8. Veggies- Some quick go to veggies like cucumbers, carrots, and celery. Can dip in guac or almond butter.

9. Bacon- Obvious reasons, its awesome. 

10. LOTS of Water

11. Nuts- Probably some Macadamia and Almonds

I know I'm probably missing a few things, but so far this is what we have. It takes a lot of planning, but so worth it in the long run. The way you fuel yourself is so important especially when you are competing. Since I got rid of all processed and refined foods and have focused more on a 'paleo' diet, my energy has increase, my fitness level has gone way up, I feel great, and I have leaned out without even trying. 

I'll be volunteering all weekend long so say hi if you see me, I'll probably be stuffing my face with Paleo Wagon goodness! Good luck to all the teams and individuals, I'll be cheering you on! And right when you think you can't....just know that you CAN!!



No comments:

Post a Comment