Thursday, May 17, 2012

Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole

Do you ever have one of those days where you just are unmotivated and really don't want to do anything? Well I had one the other day and now I am on a quest to make sure that does not happen again. CrossFit is super humbling, but really hard when you have been great at a sport your whole life and catch on to things super fast, but CrossFit is different. I played hockey in college, it came easy, it is what I was really good at and accomplished so much in my fours years in college. I'm used to having that mentality of being the best, and well at CrossFit I'm far from it. So seeing people surpass me who have been doing Crossfit for a few months is so frustrating I go through phases where I want to quit. I'm not a quitter though, and I'm deteremined to get better. It took me awhile, but I know look at CrossFit as an individual sport. Its me v. me. I read this ARTICLE about things you need to give up to be happy. It is so true. Please read it. I feel if more people do not sweat the small stuff and realize how little things  are not important. This article spoke to me especially in a CrossFit sense and I'm back at it, just trying to get better each day, for me. 



Enough of the sappy Crossfit stuff, on with the recipe. So I found this recipe as I was trolling Facebook and found an amazing website called Paleo Pot! Pot as in Crockpot druggies! Drugs are bad :-)!  It is a website dedicated all to Paleo Recipes you can do in the Crockpot. The Crockpot is a wonderful tool and being able to make a good amount of food and with minimal work is super appealing to me. So you better believe you will see more recipes from here. I need to get a bigger crockpot though since mine is a tad to small. 


INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds lean grass-fed beef (if possible)
1/2 pound uncured bacon
8 eggs
3 large sweet potatoes
1 large white onion
1 large red onion
Spices: Cayenne, Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Garlic, Oregano

I have a small crockpot, so I split everything in half, but if you have a medium to large one, go with the amounts above. I had all these ingredients already too so I was excited to get'er done. First I diced the bacon and cooked it up, put it to the side so I could cook the rest. I sautéed the onions next in the grease until they got translucent and then added the meat and all the spices I wanted to. I also added some kale since I wanted some greens in there and I had it in the fridge. I also started to cut the sweet potato. If you have a mandolin, use it!! It took me 15 seconds to get all the sweet potato slices I needed. I got one from amazon.com and it cost 10 dollars, I would invest in one for sure so you have the same size slices. After the meat was browned and ready to go I started my layering.  First the sweet potatoes, some meat, some bacon, first layer down, then I just repeated until I ran out of food. It got pretty high and looked yummy. Once I finished my layers I whisked the eggs and just poured it all over the layers in the crockpot. I set the crockpot to low for 6 hours and went out for the day!
How its supposed to look....


The recipe says after the 6 hours to put the mixture in the fridge over night to let it all come together. I was excited to be able to have it for breakfast in the morning. Sure enough it was all put together in the morning. I added a little bit of salt and popped it in the microwave to heat it up. It doesn't look good since I wasn't great about the pictures, but it tasted yummy. The sweet potatoes are soft and the crunch of the bacon is fantastic. The flavors all come together. The tricky part is getting it out of the crockpot with out it falling apart! Super easy, great for leftovers, and something you can have for any meal of the day! Enjoy...and I sweat it taste better than my pictures look....darn phone camera!

   

Yea I'm not great at pics.





No comments:

Post a Comment