Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

So I am taking a quick break on pumpkin and posting on Pizza!! Don't worry pumpkin fans, I have about four pumpkin recipes I am making this week since I am so obsessed and have three parties I am going to where I need to bring some Paleo goodness. So of course I am bringing something pumpkin. So most people when they decide to go Paleo have the biggest problem of giving up pizza. Who doesn't like bread with cheese, too bad I'm lactose in tolerant and gluten and I don't get along...damn you pizza and your tastiness. I had some friends that really love pizza and told me they never could give it up so I started searching for a crust recipe. Since usually the crust is super processed, no nutrient, gross white bread, that somehow tastes good; I had to search for alternatives. 

I have made an almond crust recipe before and it actually turned out pretty good. So I was originally looking for a new recipe with that when I came across a Cauliflower Crust Pizza. Hmm, sounds gross, but it got great reviews.....so why not? So all the recipes I had added some sort of cheese to the recipe. I decided to omit, but I would say go for it to make it even more tasty!

RECIPE: http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

INGREDIENTS:

4 Cups Raw Cauliflower Rice
1 Egg, Beaten
1/3 cup soft goat cheese or parmesan or mozzarella 
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of Salt

So go ahead and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Start by making the Cauliflower into rice. I just put it in my food processor until it was rice consistency. After done with that it is time to cook the rice! Put about an inch of water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the 'rice' and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes.  Now the most important parts!!! Strain the rice after its done then transfer to a dish towel and squeeze all the water out. Check out the website above, they have great pictures! 

Next, mix the rice, egg, cheese, oregano and salt. After it is mixed really well together (and won't seem like its going to work at all) it is time to form it into a pizza crust. Press the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper making the edges a little higher and the dough itself around 1/3" thick. 


Bake for 35-40 minutes at the 400F. The crust should be firm and golden brown when done. Now just add any toppings that you would like!! I did spinach, mushrooms, grilled chicken, and whatever else I could find in the fridge. Then throw that back in the oven for 5-10 minutes. EAT IT, because it is a tasty alternative to regular pizza. I even had some for leftovers for a few days. I feel like a little more experimenting with the crust will be good since its hard to actually have a slice, you more have to eat it with a fork and knife, but I still enjoyed it. You can't even tell the crust is actually made with cauliflower.


Of course regular pizza just is amazing, but knowing the way it makes me feel and all the ridiculous ingredients in it I can't pronounce or know what they are, I'll take this crust! Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment