Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pumpkin Cream Chicken Casserole

So let me just tell you how frustrated I am right now. Well I have been sick all day, puking my guts out this morning and just feeling like a truck ran over me the rest of the day. Yea it is no fun, I don't know anyone that actually enjoys being sick. Well in the midst of being miserable I decided to write a blog post since my ass was not moving off the couch today. So I wrote a fantastic one and went to save it and for some reason it did not work! So I lost it all...arrrgh! Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about other than complain and start over. So even though I was angry, I knew that it was probably my fault anyway and I shouldn't sweat the small stuff, so here I am again writing away.

When things do not go the way you want them too, instead of getting super mad, frustrated, and take it out on other people its important to really think if its something you can even control. Their was nothing I could do once it was gone, so I moved past it fast and started typing again and learned my lesson of copying the whole blog before I post. You really do not want the little stuff to take over your life. Once I took a step back and just realized I couldn't control all situations, I was amazed by how much my life got better. So next time some one cuts you off, someone is rude to you, etc etc etc, just brush it off and know that your life is worth to much to even stress about the little things! Life is just too short.

So I found this recipe on the amazing PaleOMG site when I was looking for a casserole recipe. Casserole recipes are really tough to find 'paleo,' but I think I scored on this one. I had all the ingredients needed and you can get them easily at a local store. And of course I wanted a recipe with pumpkin! I had an almond milk pumpkin latte the other day...I think I'm in love...

RECIPE: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Casserole

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1-1.5 lbs chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 medium sized spaghetti squash. cooked and shredded
  • 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 can pumpkin puree
  • ½ can canned coconut milk
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ yellow onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
  2. So first thing first, chop the cauliflower and put in a 9x11 baking dish with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Also, cut the spaghetti squash in half and place face down on a baking sheet. Throw both in the oven for around 30ish minutes. The cauliflower should get roasted and the squash should get soft. 
  3. While the squash and cauliflower are cooking, it’s time to cook up your chicken. Pull out either a LARGE saucepan or a large pot and put under medium-high heat.
  4. Add olive oil to it along with your minced garlic. Once the garlic begins to smell, add your chopped onions and cook until translucent.
  5. Then add the chopped up chicken to the onions. Cover and let steam for around 5 min.
  6. After the chicken is almost done (you'll know!), add can of pumpkin, half can of coconut milk, and spices to the pan. Mix it all up as best you can. I had to add a little more salt. 
  7. Once your squash and cauliflower is done cooking, and chicken saucey mixture is heated up, de-thread spaghetti squash with a fork, running the fork the opposite way of the threads. Be careful because it is going to be super hot and I may have burned myself a little bit. 
  8. Add your spaghetti squash threads, and chicken saucey mixture to the 9x11 baking dish your cauliflower is in and add dish to the oven under the broiler. Cook for about 5 minutes, getting a little dark on the top.
  9. Remove from oven, but let it sit for around 10 minutes so the sauces can get all sucked up! 
  10. EAT IT!! It is really good, add any additional spices you need. I had lots of leftovers too. I overcooked the chicken a little, but it still tasted fine. I am still mastering that!
It looks gross, but my camera sucks and its good!

No comments:

Post a Comment