Monday, November 19, 2012

Italian Meatloaf



So its official, cold weather is here. So maybe during the day it is still gorgeous, but in the morning and at night I am freezing! I seriously wore 2 pants and 4 layers going to Crossfit the other morning. Crossfit gyms are always freezing in the winter and I'm just not good with the cold. Yes, I love skiing and being outside, but I prepare since I can't control the cold! So even though I look like the stay puft marshmallow man at all times during the winter, I'm ok with it since I'm warm. I don't understand you girls that can go out at night wearing absolutely nothing and survive. I went out the other night and wore extra layers! To each their own I guess. I also just got all my ski stuff ready for the season and couldn't be more excited. Who wants to go skiing?! Though something I always have struggled with was eating paleo while skiing so I am going to think and find some easy recipes of things to make that people  can bring on the go. I know that when I ski, hike, etc, I go towards, candy bars and fries..whoops!

So I decided to spare all of you guys and make a recipe that doesn't have pumpkin in it. Though no worries, I made three more recipes that have pumpkin in them that you will see soon. You can blame sprouts for that, they had their can of pumpkin on sale for a dollar a can and I stocked up! Lucky you! 

I always loved meatloaf growing up. I know I'm weird, most kids hated it. I would slather it in tons of ketchup and would always ask for it. I know that version wasn't nearly as healthy as this one and this one is super easy and yummy. Great for leftovers also. I found it on the great paleomg.com site. She has lots of different takes on Meatloaf, so go ahead and try a different one or add whatever you want. I added a few more veggies to mine. 

RECIPE:Italian Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS:


  • 1lb Grass Fed Beef (I get mine from Sprouts)
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 roasted red pepper, diced (I left out, not a fan of peppers)
  • ¼ cup tomato sauce
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • ¾ cup almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • olive oil, for sautéing
  • I added on spinach and mushrooms, I just cooked them with the onion. 
For the sauce (I just used pre-made organic tomato sauce)
  • ¾ cup tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • fresh basil, chopped (to top-optional)

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  2. Heat up a skillet with olive oil or fat of your choice and add the onions. Cook them until they are almost  translucent and add the mushrooms and spinach or anything else if you'd like. 
  3. Mix all of your other meatloaf ingredients in a bowl, I used my hands to mix it all together
  4. After that your onion mixture is all done cooking. Add it to the meatloaf ingredients in the bowl and mix again with your hands if you'd like. Get dirty! 
  5. Then press the whole mixture into a bread pan and bake for around 35-40 min. The sides and top should brown up. 
  6. While the meatloaf is cooking you can make your sauce or just heat up some. Let the meatloaf cool a little when it is done and serve with the sauce on top or on the side. 
  7. Eat up! I actually used ketchup with it, I know I know, but I got the organic with no high fructose syrup and no added sugar, so I think thats legit in my book! 



No comments:

Post a Comment