Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving. It comes and go so fast, but it was one of my favorite holidays because it allows you to take a step back and really be thankful for everything you have. This was the first Thanksgiving that I did not spend with my immediate family. Though it actually worked out great as I got to spend the holiday with my amazing aunt and uncle in Castle Rock along with spending time with a lot of friends. 

I also got to play in a hockey tournament this past weekend, which was a blast since I haven't played in over a year! It was just like riding a bike..kinda. I think I looked like a fool, but I had a lot of fun and the team I played with was a blast. We were a Co-ed team and focus more on fun then anything else. Why take sports too seriously..not worth it! 

So since I was heading to my aunt and uncles I had to find a recipe that I knew that they would enjoy along with being paleo. So I thought something with Sweet potatoes would work. I searched for a lot of recipes, but this one had the simplest ingredients and looked so yummy. It was not hard to make at all and I made it beforehand and just cooked it at their house. It was a HUGE hit, so much that my cousins wanted the recipe so their mom could make it for them again. I was excited it tasted so good and had lots of leftovers, which since has been demolished. So it is a little sweet so don't feel like you have to put in all the honey if you don't want too. I would make this anytime!

RECIPE: Sweet Potato Casserole

INGREDIENTS: 

For the Potatoes:

  • Around 3 cups of baked sweet potatoes (I used 2 large and 2 small)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 Large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (used grass-fed)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (or heavy cream) - I used cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Topping:
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
  1. Make sure you bake/boil/etc your sweet potatoes. You can bake them at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until soft. Make sure you remove the skin after you are done. 
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Mix your sweet potatoes first and mash them then add the honey, beaten eggs, butter, cream, and salt in a bowl. 
  4. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and put into a baking dish..yup that easy!!! I didn't have a 11x7 like the recipe said, so I had a 9x9 I believe that worked well. Just use what you got!
  5. Place almond four, coconut flour, honey, salt, and butter in a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Then add the pecans and mix together. 
  6. Spread the topping on top of the sweet potatoes. I now brought it over to my uncles house and cooked it there for 20 minutes
  7. Check it and make sure the top is golden brown, it took about 25 minutes for mine to brown up. 
  8. Eat it up!!! So tasty, and goes well with turkey :-) Happy Thanksgiving




No comments:

Post a Comment