Friday, November 30, 2012

Carrot Cake Paleo Donuts


December just creeped up on us and it is really hard to even believe it is December since it's supposed to be in the 60s all this week. I mean, I am not complaining, but I am ready for some snow in the mountains so I can get up skiing. Though my skis still have no bindings on them and won't until I can actually start making money and not spend it all at lululemon...damn you amazing clothes I love so much. I mean that is all I wear all day everyday, so it;s justified, right? 




So its coming to that time of year where people start thinking more about their health and make stupid New Years Resolutions. Arrgh I hate those, why not just start right now, why wait. I feel like most people are more likely to fail if they wait until the beginning of the year to start on their goals then if they just make a choice and start now. Who says there has to be a date on it. I am a huge advocate of writing down your goals and what you want to achieve. You should never settle for just being mediocre and should continue to achieve your potential. I found that writing down your goals and telling everyone about them helps and keeps you more accountable. Yes my goals are big, scary, and I might not reach them all, but I know they are possible and I continuously change them to fit me. If you haven't done this, take an hour out of your day, make yourself some tea or coffee, sit down and write some 1 year, 5 year, and 10 year goals. I had to do this for Lululemon and it was eye opening. I stared at the paper for the longest time before I finally could write something down and get ideas to start flowing. Since that I am excited about life, my potential, and the future. Take some time, head here for help: Lululemon GoalSetting. You won't regret it. 


So I found this recipe and went out and bought a donut pan just so I could make it. Though I realized these are more like donut cakes then anything else. I knew when Juli over at PaleOMG put these on her blog I had to make them. For those that don't know, I am in LOVE with donuts. I know, they are horrible for you and a sugar attack, but I still love them. These were an ok substitute, but I'm sorry I still just love a maple glazed donut from King Soopers from time to time....gross Stef, gross. 

RECIPE: Carrot Cake Donuts


Ingredients
  • 3 large carrots, shredded
  • ½ cup sunflower seed butter (I used almond butter)
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 2 tablespoons raw honey
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon ginger
  • ¼ teaspoon cloves
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • ⅛ cup chopped walnuts (optional-do not use for nut free version)- didn't use
  • ⅛ cup raisins (optional)- didnt' use
For the frosting
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Shred those carrots!! I just used a hand shredder that worked great.
  3. Add your carrots to a large bowl and then add almond butter, vanilla extract, honey, and mix well.
  4. Then add your eggs and mix into a soupy mess.
  5. Lastly add your coconut flour, baking soda and powder, and the rest of your spices. If you’d like to use raisins and walnuts, add those as well.
  6. Place mixture in your greased donut pan. Mine made around 8 donuts, with a few of them being on the smaller side. 
  7. Bake for 23-25 minutes and then let cool
  8. Top donuts off with coconut butter, almonds, and a bit of zested carrot.
  9. EAT THEM! 

I thought these were pretty good, but if I were going to make them again, I would forgo the coconut butter and just use non paleo yummy cream cheese frosting or just keep them plain. I just didn't really fancy the coconut butter chalky taste, but the donut itself was fantastic! I think this recipe would be great as a muffin/cupcake also!! Even though I didn't really like the coconut butter on top, I still ate them all in three days...damn donuts!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment